Way of the Cross

Grotto of Our Lady of Guadalupe

The Marian Grotto and Way of the Cross was constructed in 2015, along with the main Church building. The statue of Our Lady of Guadalupe was sculpted by artist Nilda Comas. In addition to the statue of Our Lady, Nilda Comas’ work has been featured in many different museums here in the United States and around the world. Her work has received multiple awards including two Agopoff Memorial Prizes from the National Sculpture Society in New York. For her sculpture of Our Lady of Guadalupe, Nilda Comas used white marble originating from the famous Carrara quarries in Northern Italy. This white marble is known for its texture and has been mined since Roman times.

Below the statue of Our Lady of Guadalupe is a rock from Tepeyac Hill, the hill where Our Lady first appeared to St. Juan Diego in 1531. This rock was taken from Mexico and was marked with the seal of the Archdiocese of Mexico. Surrounding the statue of Our Lady of Guadalupe are four images depicting the four apparitions of Our Lady to St. Juan Diego. During the final apparition of Our Lady to Juan Diego, Our Lady told Juan Diego to fill his tilma with roses and bring them to the bishop. When Juan Diego opened his tilma before the bishop, the image of Our Lady appeared imprinted upon the tilma. The original tilma is preserved today at the Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe in Mexico City.

Marian Grotto of Our Lady of Guadalupe

The Marian Grotto and Way of the Cross was constructed in 2015, along with the main Church building. The statue of Our Lady of Guadalupe was sculpted by artist Nilda Comas. In addition to the statue of Our Lady, Nilda Comas’ work has been featured in many different museums here in the United States and around the world. Her work has received multiple awards including two Agopoff Memorial Prizes from the National Sculpture Society in New York. For her sculpture of Our Lady of Guadalupe, Nilda Comas used white marble originating from the famous Carrara quarries in Northern Italy. This white marble is known for its texture and has been mined since Roman times.

Below the statue of Our Lady of Guadalupe is a rock from Tepeyac Hill, the hill where Our Lady first appeared to St. Juan Diego in 1531. This rock was taken from Mexico and was marked with the seal of the Archdiocese of Mexico. Surrounding the statue of Our Lady of Guadalupe are four images depicting the four apparitions of Our Lady to St. Juan Diego. During the final apparition of Our Lady to Juan Diego, Our Lady told Juan Diego to fill his tilma with roses and bring them to the bishop. When Juan Diego opened his tilma before the bishop, the image of Our Lady appeared imprinted upon the tilma. The original tilma is preserved today at the Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe in Mexico City.

Marian Grotto of Our Lady of Guadalupe